This is an advertisement
Dinsmore | Immigration
Dinsmore immigration attorneys leverage more than 130 years of cumulative experience to craft strategies and solutions to meet unique immigration needs. We anticipate the areas where the U.S. government may challenge a case, reverse engineer the case to lower the risk of denial, and increase the odds of approval. 

We use leading web-based technology for case management, so your immigration coordinator, managers, and employees can access appropriate case information on a 24/7 basis.

Client Status / Client Login

Register for Immigration Alerts / Update your Information
Short-Term Placement Of H-1B Employees At Other Business Locations

On January 19, 2001 the U.S. Department of Labor enacted new regulations relating to Labor Conditions Applications (LCAs) and H-1B employers. Included in the new regulations are provisions for short-term placement or assignment of H-1B employees at place(s) of employment outside of the area(s) of intended employment listed on the LCA, without the employer being required to file a new LCA. Employers may now assign H-1B employees on short-term to a work-site that is not within the scope of a certified LCA, if several requirements are met by the employer. The purpose of the new regulation is to permit employers to assign H-1B employees to work-sites where their services are needed quickly for a short-time. If the employer intends to employee the H-1B employee at the work-site for longer than permitted by the regulations, the short-term placement regulations allow for the employee to work while the employer pursues a certified LCA for the new worksite.

The regulations require that to place an H-1B employee in a location without certified LCA for a short-term, the employer must:

  • The employer has fully satisfied the four attestations agreed to on the original LCA for the original work site;
  • The employer does not assign, lease, or otherwise contract the H-1B employee to a new work site where there is a strike or lockout due to a labor dispute in the same occupational classification of the H-1B employee;
  • The employer continues to pay the H-1B employee the higher of the prevailing wage or actual wage at the original work site; and
  • The employer pays the worker the actual cost of food, lodging, and travels for each day of the employee's short-term assignment (work days and non-work days).

The short-term placement is restricted to:

  • 30 days at any one site or any combination of work sites within one year (either calendar or fiscal year);
  • 60 days in one year if the employer can show (1) the H-1B employee continues to maintain an office or workstation at the original site, (2) the H-1B employee spends a substantial part of the year at the permanent work site, and (3) the H-1B employee's place of abode is in the area of the permanent work site; and
  • The initial place of employment for an H-1B employee must be the location stated in the approved H-1B Petition and for which there is a certified LCA.

The employer may not continuously rotate short-term H-1B employees at the new location so that the position is almost always filled by a short-term H-1B employee.


Dinsmore | Accomplish More

Stay Connected

Google + Facebook Twitter Linked in